Sunday 6 May 2012

Happiness Habits

Do you ever notice that really happy people have a lot of similar habits to one another? If you are a happy person, you probably have some of these habits: - "Working" in a job/career you enjoy - Having hobbies you love - Helping others - Surrounding yourself with positive people - Taking care of yourself However some people have a hard time becoming or staying happy with their lives or circumstances, for various reasons. After all, I have heard of depression and anxiety described as "the common cold of society". I think the key to developing happiness habits is to take one thing on at a time and give it several weeks of focused attention. It will eventually develop as a habit (I hear 6 weeks is the magic number). Make a schedule including your new habit and don't be hard on yourself if you fall off the wagon and revert to old habits. Just dust yourself off and get back on the horse! A great way to start happiness habits is to volunteer for a cause you believe in. Not enough time? Many organizations need people to help with specific events that last z day or just a couple of hours. Start walking to work (if it is close enough), or take a walk every weekend. My point is that there is always a way to do what makes you feel happy, even if it isn't as often as you originally planned. It will eventually fit itself into your schedule. An important part of developing happiness habits in my opinion (and I believe this because I have made this mistake myself!) is to not get hung up on the "happiness" part of life, but rather just enjoy each moment as it comes. I would love to know what happiness habits you have! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment